Do you know that you can extract juice from an onion without using a juicer? In fact, there are multiple ways to do that. So, if you don’t have a juicer, there’s no need to worry. I’ll tell you how to juice an onion without a juicer using 2 methods.
You can use a grater to extract juice from an onion. If you don’t have a fine grater, using a blender will be effective too. The methods don’t take long either.
So, let’s see the methods in detail.
How To Juice An Onion Without A Juicer?
I’ve explained two methods below to juice an onion if you don’t have a juicer. Before jumping to the process, let’s take a look at what you will be needing for these methods.
- An onion
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
- A shallow plate
- A bowl
- A strainer
- A cheesecloth
- A silicon spatula
- A cheese grater or a blender
Method 1: Using A Grater
Using a grater for juicing an onion is as easy as it gets. Let me take you through the step-by-step procedure.
- The first thing to do is to peel the onion. This is a part of preparing the onion before juicing it. Once you’ve nicely removed all the outer skins, wash the onion to make sure it’s entirely clean.
- Now, take a shallow bowl or a plate. It should be large enough to fit the grater you are going to use.
- Take a cheese grater, also known as a box grater, and place it on top of the plate.
- Firmly hold the onion and grate it using the finest side of the grater.
- The result should be a juicy pulp remaining on the plate.
- Now, take a strainer and place it on top of a bowl.
- Transfer the pulp into the strainer. The bowl below will already have some onion juice on it.
- Take a silicon spatula and press the pulp to squeeze out the remaining juice.
- Now, take a cheesecloth and transfer the pulp from the strainer inside the cheesecloth.
- Wrap the pulp inside and use your fingers to squeeze the remaining juice out of the pulp into the bowl.
- Continue squeezing until the dripping stops.
Method 2: Using A Blender
If you have a blender at home, you can easily juice an onion. The procedure is similar to the one I’ve already discussed. The goal is to make a pulp of onion and then squeeze out the juice.
- Peel and wash the onion you want to juice.
- Cut it into square pieces using a sharp knife. The pieces don’t have to be too small. You can cut one-half of the onion into four pieces.
- Now, transfer these pieces into the blender. Blend the onions until they turn into a pulp.
- If you are having difficulty blending them, you can add a bit of water. However, don’t overdo it.
- Use a strainer and a silicone spatula to squeeze the onion juice from the pulp. Follow the same method described in the grater method.
- Use a cheesecloth to squeeze the remaining juice.
Tips For Juicing An Onion
- Make sure not to add too much water to the blender. It will ruin the flavor of the juice.
- Clean all the tools before using them. Also, wash your hands before starting the procedure.
- Wash all tools after juicing the onions too. The smell of onion is difficult to remove if you don’t wash everything right away.
- Use the grater carefully not to hurt your hand.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the onions. Blunt knives are riskier to use.
- You can also use a fork to make onion pulp if you don’t have a blender or grater. However, it can be a very lengthy process.
Lets see a video from Nery HR channel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I boil the onion to extract juice?
Cooked and raw onions are not the same when it comes to flavor. So, boiling the onion will not be the same as when you extract juice from a raw onion.
Q. Can I juice an onion without a blender, juicer, or grater?
The most manual way of juicing an onion is to use a fork to transform it into pulp. Even though it will take a long time to juice one onion, you can certainly do it. Using this method will also limit the amount of juice you can extract from the onion.
Hopefully, all your questions regarding how to juice an onion without a juicer have been answered. There’s no need to think that all hopes are lost only because you don’t have a juicer. You can easily juice an onion using your grater or your blender.
Make sure that you are not compromising the cleanliness during the method. Everything you are using must be clean and washed before using.